Programs and Scheduling
If your group exceeds our 60 student per session limit, please plan one of the following:
- Schedule half of your group for the morning, allowing at least 2 1/2 hours and the second group for afternoon.
- Schedule two different days.
We would be happy to assist you in scheduling a class and answer any questions you may have.
A gift shop and public garden are on site. Our lunch area seats sixty. Bookings will be confirmed by our Education Coordinator.
YOU MAY SELECT ONE PROGRAM. ACTIVITIES LISTED ARE BASED ON YOUR GROUPS AGE, SIZE, AND TIME SCHEDULE.
Seasonal Programs- Please note these will not be availible in the 2020 school year.
Hello Harvest: (Grades K-5) September - Thanksgiving
Choices include parts of a plant, squash life cycle, edible plant parts, digging vegetables, measurements, grinding grain, tasting & graphing.
For readers: "The Three Sisters" (corn, beans, and squash). Act out a play based on an American Indian legend in our real child-sized theater.
Color My World: Jan-March Only (Grades Pre K-4)
Students explore rainbow science & decorate a spinning top. They do color chromatography & may use it to solve a crime-lab mystery. Creating a color wheel and mixing colors is fun hands on project.
School Programs: Early Childhood
- Wind Blows: (Pre-K, K, & 1st Grade) Concentrate and remember a sequence of events in a story. Experiment with a fan and small objects, create a windsock and learn how people use wind.
Standards: Science, Language Arts
- Pre-Wizard of Oz: (Pre-K, K, & 1st Grade) Identify bully/buddy characteristics of Oz characters and examine real-life situations. Design a craft stick house and remember, "There's no place like home." Standards: Art, Language Arts, Social Studies
- Animal Home Discovery: (Pre-K, K, & 1st Grade) Use tracks and scat to identify animal puppets and replica homes. Large motor skills activity with animal movements. Create prints of animal tracks to take home.
Standards: Language Arts, Science, P.E.
- Trees, Leaves, and Me: (Pre-K, K, & 1st Grade) Read aloud story by Treesa the Talking Tree. Leaf craft, identifying wood products in mystery bags. Parts of a tree and log life cycles.
Standards: Science, Language Arts, Art
- Pre-KEVA Planks: (Pre-K, K, & 1st Grade) Practice basic geometric shapes and a variety of techniques to build a town. Listen to a story for building inspiration.
Standards: Science, Math, Language Arts, Art
- What's a Mammal?: (Pre-K, K, & 1st Grade) Help puppets with a sorting activity and then arrange animals into groups (mammals, birds, fish, reptiles). Use magnifiers to examine animal hides. Perform animal actions, view mounted animals and create a mammal with art materials. Standards: Science, Art, Language Arts
- Wonderful Water: (Pre-K, K, & 1st Grade) Learn about weather and where clouds come from. Examine living/non-living. Create a rain cloud in a jar, and paint a water cycle. Explore pollution & habitats with Frannie the Fish.
School Programs: Grades 1 & Above
- Dino Dig: (Grades 1-4) Excavate bones, explore animal classification and construct a 3D dino puzzle in teams, examine extintion theories, and build a vinegar volcano. Standards: Science, Art, Language Arts
- Wizard of Oz: (Grades 2-5) Describe OZ characters with many adjectives, identify anti-bullying strategies, and assemble vortex tornado models. Standards: Language Arts, Science, Social Studies
- Tree-rific: (Grades 2-5) Discover diversity of tree products, measure stumps and rings. Use a key to identify leaves. . Standards: Science, Math, Art, Social Studies
- Wildlife Detective: (Grades 2-4) Animal investigators determine "Who Did It" analyzing clues in teams, a vocabulary game, create track print project. Standards: Science, Language Arts, Art
- Animal Class: (Grades 1-4) Identify birds, fish, mammals, amphibians & reptiles with laser pointers, create a vertebrate art project. Use magnifiers to examine animal hides. Experience a simulated safari/ drawing. Classify classmates by attributes. Standards: Science, Social Studies, Art
- KEVA Plank Engineers: (choices based on grade level) Build and compare 2-D and 3-D shapes, graphing & geometic art projects. (Grades 3-6) Science experiment & construction using cantilevers. Build, describe and follow directions with a partner. Standards: Science, Math, Language Arts, Art
- Lake Life: Use costumes and props to discover the metamorphosis of butterflies and other creatures. Create a lake habitat group mural. Play a game to show the effects of invasive species in a lake. Learn about water pollution with Frannie the Fish.
School Programs: Upper Grade Challenges
- KEVA Planks: Science experiment & construction using cantilevers. Build, describe and follow directions with a partner. Standards: Science, Math, Language Arts, Art
- Lake Life Lessons: Students will learn about the harmful effects of invasive species, and adaptations fish make to survive. Complete science experiments using your senses, and
make a food web art project.
- 1920's House Tour: Tour the restored Judy Garland birth home. Try out old fashioned appliances, tool, and toys. Combine history and science in an investigation of ice boxes and insulation.
If your group exceeds our 60 student per session limit. Please schedule half of your group for the morning, allowing at least 2 1/2 hours and the second group for afternoon or schedule two different days.