Programs and Scheduling
Did you know you can visit the CDM more than once a year with your class at no cost?
If your group exceeds our 60 student per session limit, please plan one of the following:
- Schedule half of your group for the morning, allowing at least 2 1/2 hours and the second group for afternoon.
- Schedule two different days.
We would be happy to assist you in scheduling a class and answer any questions you may have.
A gift shop and public garden are on site. Our lunch area seats sixty. Bookings will be confirmed by our Education Coordnator.
For cancellations or rescheduling, call Debbie Sias at 218-248-2329.
YOU MAY SELECT ONE PROGRAM. ACTIVITIES LISTED ARE CHOICES BASED ON YOUR GROUPS AGE, SIZE AND TIME SCHEDULE.
Hello Harvest: Fall Special
Available from the First Day of Fall through Thanksgiving.
Choices include parts of a plant, squash life cycle, edible plant parts, digging vegetables, measurements, grinding grain, tasting & graphing.
Color My Winter: Winter Special
Available in January and February.
Enjoy a rainbow of science activites based on colors to add some excitement when the world is winter white.
School Programs: 1st - 6th Grade
- Dino Dig: Excavate bones, create fossils, explore animal classification and construct a 3D dino puzzle in teams. Standards: Science, Art, Language Arts
- Wizard of Oz: Describe OZ characters with many adjectives, identify anti-bullying strategies, and assemble vortex tornado models. Standards: Language Arts, Science, Social Studies
- Tree-rific: Discover diversity of tree products, measure stumps and rings. Take home a clay cast of identified tree part. Standards: Science, Math, Art, Social Studies
- Habitat Detective: Animal investigators determine "Who Did It" analyzing clues in teams, a vocabulary game, create track print project. Standards: Science, Language Arts, Art
- NEW! Animal Class: Identify birds, fish, mammals, amphibians & reptiles with laser pointers, create a vertebrate art project. Use magnifiers to examine animal hides. Experience a simulated safari/ drawing. Classify classmates by attributes. Standards: Science, Social Studies, Art
- NEW! KEVA Plank Engineers: (Grades 1-2) Build and compare 2-D and 3-D shapes, graphing & building. (Grades 3-6) Science experiment & construction using cantilevers. Build, describe and follow directions with a partner. Standards: Science, Math, Language Arts, Art
School Programs: Preschool & Kindergarten
- Squiggle: Develop imagination and large motor skills with a length of yarn. Create abstract string art painting with symmetry. Standards: Language Arts, Art
- Wind Blows: Concentrate and remember a sequence of events in a story. Experiment with a fan and small objects, create a windsock and learn how people use wind. Standards: Science, Language Arts
- Pre-Wizard of Oz: Identify bully/buddy characteristics of Oz characters and examine real-life situations. Design a craft stick house and remember, "There's no place like home." Standards: Art, Language Arts, Social Studies
- Animal Home Discovery: Puppets, tracks, and scat used for identification. Large motor skills activity with animal movements. Track prints take home project. Standards: Language Arts, Science, P.E.
- Trees, Leaves, and Me: Read aloud story by Treesa the Talking Tree. Tree products, leaf craft, identifying wood products, mystery bag. Standards: Science, Language Arts, Art
- NEW! Pre-KEVA Planks: Practice basic geometric shapes and a variety of techniques to build a town. Listen to a story for building inspiration. Standards: Science, Math, Language Arts, Art
- NEW! What's a Mammal?: Help puppets with a sorting activity and then arrange animals into groups (mammals, birds, fish, reptiles). Use magnifiers to examine animal hides. Perform animal actions, view mounted animals and create a mammal with art materials. Standards: Science, Art, Language Arts
If your group exceeds our 60 student per session limit. Please schedule half of your group for the morning, allowing at least 2 1/2 hours and the second group for afternoon or schedule two different days.